Thursday, August 7, 2014

#Engaged

I saw a blog the other day about why the "Y" generation is so infatuated with tying the knot and rushing marriage. I couldn't help but think to myself that I am on this "Y generation-engaged-theory-bandwagon." I loved reading the well written article about young people getting engaged due to religion, boredom, and because its the "right thing to do." After reading the three pages of the article, it gave me inspiration to create my first blog! Little did the close mindedness of the author know, there is so much more to being engaged than those three reasons.Yes, everyone has their own reasons for making a life commitment but I think she is forgetting the biggest one: l-o-v-e.
There's so much to say about this generation we are living in today.
Being a 20 year old in this generation has taught me so much. 1. I miss the 90's Disney channel shows everyday, 2. money does not grow on trees (especially during college payments), and 3. life makes love look a lot harder than it really is. I was recently engaged on July 12 of 2014 to the love of my life, James Ryan Maddox. We decided to wait and get married until I have finished school so that we can start our lives off on the right (stable) foot. I could not be more happier than I was in that moment he proposed to me. Not only is there a gorgeous ring on my left hand, but their is a promise that he made when giving it to me. A promise far greater than most people can fathom in their early twenties. After the proposal, we were greeted with a thousand "congratulations!" and sweet gifts and comments. Although everything was perfect and just amazing, there will always be people who "throw rocks at things that shine" as Taylor Swift would say. Whether its getting engaged or wearing an out-of-style sweater, people always have opinions to express. That's okay though, everyone has a right to their own opinion, and that doesn't bother me. What does bother me is what this generation is coming to. It is "normal" and "fun" to get belligerent drunk and not remember anything. It is also okay to wake up to a complete stranger and laugh about it the next day while having coffee with your girlfriends because that's what your college years are meant for, right?  but when someone makes a commitment to ONE person for the rest of their lives, its odd and strange. The meaning of #engaged is taken lightly. Some people don't look at it as a blessing anymore, its looked at as if your whole life is ruined because you're only twenty-something. I think it's a beautiful thing that God gave my soul mate to me at a" younger" age. I thank him so much for giving me the privilege to know and discover what true love is. If anything, we are blessed to have each other through the next crucial years of our lives. Growing up and hopefully getting through nursing school will be the biggest challenge and I have my fiancĂ© standing beside me and cheering me on when life ever gets difficult. Love is a beautiful thing whether you are 20 or 80 years old. Life makes love look like it has to have drama, fighting, and jealousy because without those things, it wouldn't be "normal." Love is so much more simple than that. Loving someone whole heartily is honestly like breathing. You have his back, he has your back, and everyday is something to look forward to. The true meaning of love cannot be better expressed than in this verse, 1 Corinthians 13:4-8: "Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.  It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away."
Engagements and marriages should be celebrated and not looked down upon as an inconvenience or issue. Life is too short to not want to make a commitment to the one God sent to you. I am a normal college student with my whole life ahead of me. I love going out, staying in for Netflix night, staying up all night, and laughing until my stomach hurts just like any other person. The only difference is I have found the person who God has chosen for me and I would not want it any other way. After all, getting #engaged is what life is all about.







1 comment:

  1. You go girl! I'm so proud of you. What a beautiful message. We love you and we are excited for your engagement.

    -TJ & Rebecca Austin

    ReplyDelete